Most of us do things like checking the lights are off before we leave the house, or double-checking that the car is locked before you walk away. For a person with OCD (Obssessive Compulsive Disorder) thoughts and compulsive behaviours can become so overwhelming that they interfere with daily life
What Is OCD (Obssessive Compulsive Disorder)?
Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is an anxiety disorder characterized by uncontrollable, unwanted thoughts and repetitive, ritualized behaviors you feel compelled to perform. If you think you have OCD, you probably recognize that your obsessive thoughts and compulsive behaviors are irrational – but even so, you feel powerless to control them or be free of them. Put in simple terms, it can seem a bit like a needle playing a scratched record – the same behaviours play over and over and over again. Usually compulsions are the repetitive behaviours that you utilise to try to make the obsessive thoughts go away.
Types Of OCD Personalities
Most people with OCD will recognise themselves as belonging to one of these categories
- Washers – you are afraid of infection and contamination and tend to wash or clean a lot.
- Checkers – you find yourself checking things constantly that could cause danger (eg. doors locked, switches turned off, etc.)
- Doubters & Sinners – you believe that if everything isn’t done just right you will be punished or something awfull will happen and it’ll be all your fault.
- Counters & Arrangers – you are fascinated with numbers, order, symmetry, etc.
- Hoarders – you believe that something bad will happen if you throw anything away, so you hoard things you may never need or use.
NOTE: Many people have mild obssessions or compulsions which do not interfere with their daily lives, so for many people, there is little need to be concerned.
Effective Treatment With Hypnosis And Hypnotherapy
As with many other anxiety-based conditions, it can be very effective to find the root cause of the problem and resolve any repressed emotions. For effective treatment with hypnosis and hypnotherapy, call Cork’s leading Clinical Hypnotherapist today – call Paul on 086 2666670 or CLICK HERE to enquire online or to arrange a free callback